Salt Lake City Attorney Manages Complex Business Litigation
Extensive experience with high-stakes business and commercial cases
Complex business and commercial litigation can be overwhelming unless you’re represented by an attorney with specific experience, pertinent knowledge, and a record of success that inspires confidence. At my firm, the Law Office of E. Barney Gesas PLLC, you will find a lawyer who fits that bill. For more than 40 years, I have guided individual, corporate and municipal clients through complex, high-stakes litigation. If your business interests in Salt Lake County are in jeopardy due to contentious legal issues, trust me to manage every facet of your case to a successful conclusion.
Reputable counsel implements cost-effective strategies for business disputes
My practice focuses on complex business and commercial litigation, which generally involves more than one allegation of wrongdoing, multiple parties on both sides and millions of dollars at stake. The cases I most often manage include:
- Business torts — I represent plaintiffs and defendants in cases alleging fraud, misrepresentation, contractual interference, business oppression, antitrust claims, and other examples of unfair competition. As an example, I served as joint defense counsel for Westinghouse Electric Corporation’s credit and finance division in one of Utah’s largest civil financial fraud and RICO cases, involving claims in excess of $100,000,000. Additionally, as joint defense counsel for a high-profile CEO of a Utah publicly traded medical products company facing a multi-count federal grand jury indictment for securities fraud, insider trading, and income tax evasion, my team secured an acquittal of all criminal charges.
- Professional liability — I represent defendant fiduciaries and aggrieved plaintiffs in cases alleging breaches of fiduciary duty. I often help parties resolve disputes out of court by negotiating the separation of the defendant fiduciary. I also work as counsel to insurance companies that underwrite errors and omissions policies for major corporations.
- Environmental law — I represent Utah businesses in regulatory compliance disputes and condemnation actions involving state land use and planning.
- Intellectual property — I help companies protect their valuable IP and obtain remedies for copyright and trademark infringement, as well as trade secret theft.
- Products liability — My work as prosecuting and defense counsel in mass tort actions includes defective auto design litigation encompassing more than 100 active cases spread across 22 states. I have also played a major role in the defense of thousands of asbestos and mesothelioma claims throughout the United States.
My clients have included The Salt Lake Tribune, Honda North America, Westinghouse Electric Corporation, CBS Corporation, the Utah State Bar, and the Utah Department of Transportation.
Contact my Salt Lake City office to schedule a free consultation
The Law Office of E. Barney Gesas PLLC manages complex business and commercial litigation throughout Utah. If you have a dispute that requires my services, call me at 801-935-8939 or contact my office online to arrange a free consultation. My office is located at 125 N. T Street, just west of the University of Utah campus.